Connecting to LinkedIn...



You've gotten that job abroad - What Next?

2015-11-09 09:00:00 +0000 by Friederike Lutter


So you’ve gotten that language job abroad, you’ve just arrived in your new city – your new home. First of all Congratulations, secondly let’s get stuck into what you need to do in your first few weeks when working abroad.

Many of our jobseekers believe that they need to arrive in their new country at least 2-3 weeks before their language jobs starting date in order to organize everything. But to be honest, you don’t need this much time! As most of the companies offer support and help in organizing everything, you really only need  2-3 days. 

So what is it that you should be focusing on instead?

  • Finding an Apartment

If you do not have any friends or family in your new country you can stay in a hostel or hotel  for the first few nights. Of course it is always good to check on the internet to see if you can find a good apartment and schedule some viewings – viewing an apartment before you sign any contract is important – a picture may be worth a 1000 words but that does not mean they tell the truth! You can do this during your first few days after work, making 1-2 viewing appointments and soon you will have a place to call your own.

  • Health Insurance

In some countries your employer will take care of health insurance (like in Germany or Poland), in other countries you are insured automatically through the social system. In this case you can additionally insure yourself privatly for which you have to go looking and compare all the different options and offers from a number of brokers. This additional private insurance can be for instance found in the UK or Ireland.

  • Bank Account

As companies only transfer your salary to a national bank account, opening a bank account is one of the most important points when working abroad.  In order to open a bank account you will need: proof of address and your valid passport. In case you have not found an apartment yet, a confirmation letter of your employer is just as good.

  • Sim Card & Mobile Phone Contract

In case you do not know yet how long you want to stay working abroad you can buy yourself a prepaid card for the first while. You just have to change your SIM card (of course your mobile phone should be unlocked for this). If know that you are going to stay working abroad, you can always sign up for a longer contract.

Trotter Tip: 

Don’t forget that in order to register in your new country you will need a letter of employment which you will get on your first week in your new language job, so worrying about moving & working abroad weeks in advance isn’t needed.

Working Abroad can be both scary and exciting – you don’t need a month you really only need a few days – it’s an adventure – Jump in.

Fancy Working Abroad – get in touch with us today – we are just a phone call away

Call Now on +353 15 24 24 20 

comments powered by Disqus