Connecting to LinkedIn...


Working Abroad? You Could be Due a Tax Refund!

Working Abroad - Dealing with Taxes

Tax systems abroad have your brain swirling in confusion?
Don’t know if you are eligible to claim taxback? Well…

If you have or are working abroad for part of the year, then you could be due to a tax refund both in your home country and abroad!

Knowledge of tax systems abroad can be worth its weight in gold. Each country has different laws. Thankfully Careertrotter is here to save the day. We’ve teamed up with Taxback to shine some light on the shady area, that is the tax systems abroad.


Whether you are looking to work in Ireland or leave to work abroad elsewhere, you could be due to a tax refund. Even if you’ve only worked in that country for a short time.  This is especially true if you avail of:

Split Year Treatment

                Split Year Treatment ensures that if you work in Ireland and:

  • Were a non-resident in Ireland for the previous tax year AND
  • Intend to be a resident for the following tax year

Then you are subject to Irish tax form working here but only from the date, you arrived in Ireland.

You are liable to Irish tax on any non-work-related income (for example – investment income) from the year up to your arrival in Ireland. If Ireland has a tax treaty with the country where you earned worked and earned money you can claim a credit for tax paid on that income.

This credit could result in a refund and you should submit an Irish tax return. You may also be able to get a refund in your home country. If you apply with, our accountants will look at both countries for you to see if you are due a tax refund.

If you leave Ireland to work abroad and you:

  • where a resident in Ireland in the current tax year AND
  • Show that you intend to leave Ireland for a long period and will be a non-resident for the following tax year

You will be subject to Ireland tax on your employment income, but only up to the date you leave Ireland.
There are many other reasons as to why you could be due to a tax refund  - Check out today because the average Irish Tax refund we have helped with is around €995.

Important Note:
You will need a P45 or P60 and details of any work-related expenses to apply for an Irish tax refund.

Northern Ireland/UK

1 in 3 people who pay tax in the UK are due to a tax refund

Many multilingual working in the UK actually overpay tax and need to file a UK tax return in order to claim a refund.

You may be due to claim UK tax back if:

  • You’re a non-resident
  • You incurred work-related expenses
  • You didn’t work a full tax year
  • You were made redundant
  • You were on an emergency tax code

The UK tax year is from April 6th to April 5th of the following year and the average tax refund is £963.
To apply for a UK tax rebate, you will need either your P45 or your P60 and details of any work-related expenses.

The Netherlands 

Employees working in the Netherlands pay up to 52% tax on their earnings. If you are looking to work in the Netherlands, you could be entitled to a tax refund for a number of reasons.

  • You only worked for part of the year
  • You’ve changed jobs
  • You took on an extra job
  • You were granted the 30% ruling – meaning you received a tax-free expense allowance for up to 30% of your salary from your employer.
  • Your spouse and children came with you to the Netherlands.

As of 2015, you’re only entitled to deductible items, tax credits, and the tax-free allowance only if you meet all 3 of the following criteria.

  • You live in an EU country, Liechtenstein, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland.
  • You pay tax in the Netherlands on at least 90% of worldwide income.
  • You should be able to submit a personal statement from the tax authorities in your country of residence. customers get an average refund of €850 from the Netherlands, so if you meet these condition – it is definitely worth checking out what you could claim back! 


Those who work in Germany can pay up to 42.5% on their earnings and if you plan on working in Germany or are working there now, you could be due to a German tax refund.

There are a number of circumstances which can lead to you receiving a German Tax refund. They include the following:

  • Your income was under the tax-free allowance
  • You worked part-time or have a temporary job
  • You were not classified correctly for tax payments
  • You financially support your parents or other dependants in your home country
  • You paid rent in both Germany and your home country
  • You paid for flights to and from Germany
  • You incurred work-related expenses such as travel costs

The average German Tax refund is €1,020. Make sure you apply after the end of the year on December 31st!

Actually Claiming Tax back!

As you know, taxes can be boring… and often very confusing…

Why not leave it to the experts?

At, we’ve been refunding tax for people all over the world since 1996 and out experienced tax accountants can prepare and file your taxes in both your home country and from abroad.

Apply online for a free no-obligation estimate on any possible refund at Now!

Click today on for more now