Connecting to LinkedIn...


Work in the UK

Landscape in the UK - United Kingdom - mountain, mountains

Cheesy ice braker for your first day at work?

What do the Queen, Austin Powers, and David Beckham have in common? Yes, Austin is a fictitious character from a film… but the character, along with the other two, call the UK home. 

You can call this place home, too, and spend the weekends watching the football match at your favorite pub with the lads. Hop on the ferry to Northern Ireland where we have great jobs in Belfast or you could catch a train out into the country for a walk in the Scottish Highlands. Or maybe you’d fancy learning to speak Welsh in your freetime? 

In any case, the country that brought the world both Monty Python and the Rolling Stones has a lot to offer you jobwise.

Tax and National Insurance:

When you arrive to the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance number
It may take up to 12 weeks to receive your National Insurance card. However, you can start work before you have the card, as long as you have received your National Insurance number. 

National Insurance contributions vary according to your income, and cover benefits such as state pension, jobseeker’s allowance, employment and support allowance, etc. 
In addition to these contributions, you will also be required to pay income tax, which can range between 10%- 50%, depending on your tax class. This tax, or PAYE (pay as you earn), will be deducted from your salary regularly along with your NIC (National Insurance contributions). thoroughly outlines tax and National Insurance information. 


London bridge in London England

To open a bank account in the UK, you’ll need to have already gotten your National Insurance number. You’ll also need to have proof or residency, such as bills in your name, and also proof of income from you workplace. It may also be useful to have a letter from your home bank stating how long you have been an account holder and that you are in good credit. 

Another, easier option would be to purchase a UK account starter package from a travelling company before you leave home. Both First Contact and Travel to Work offer such packages. 

The most commonly used banks in the UK include: 

Home, Sweet Home:

When you first arrive in the UK, it is probably easier and most cost-effective to rent a room in a shared flat, especially if you’re in an expensive location like London! These links can be useful starting points for finding a place to call home: 

If you choose to rent your own flat, you can expect to pay 1 month’s deposit and one month’s rent upfront. If you use an estate agent to find a flat, you may have to pay the agent’s fee as well. Keep in mind that on top of monthly rent, you will need to pay utilities, phone, TV licence and Council Tax. Lease agreements tend to run for either 6 months or one year. Be sure of the terms of the breaking clause in your contract in case you need to move out before the lease is up. It would be rather unpleasant to owe huge amounts of rent! 

You can also expect to sign an inventory of all the contents of the flat upon moving in, which protects you should there be claims of missing items upon moving out. 

Cool Stuff

Check out what folks say about dining, shopping, and nightlife in UK cities on Yelp
For bargains on fun stuff ranging from beauty treatments to paintball,Groupon

Interested in other destinations? We have plenty of stuff for you to read at our page Working Abroad.

Otherwise just quickly browse our Language jobs and apply or register with us now!

Pssst don't forget we also have a German website - take a look & let us know what you think